Many times when we're young, we don't realize that the "everyday" back pain and discomfort can be a sign that we need to pay closer attention to the way we perform in our workouts and sport activities. We take a pain killer, or "work it off" by pushing our bodies harder and once it starts to feel better we don't give it a second thought. Until we wake up the next morning or turn the wrong way or get up from sitting through that long lecture or meeting.
For the most part our bodies, especially when they are young, can take a lot of hits and get back up without you ever knowing that something is being done wrong or not being taken care of as it should. This is why it is such a challenge for patients to understand the way chiropractic really works - which is to PREVENT pain and discomfort from happening as much as possible.
Dr. Michael's 5 Steps to Busting Free From Back Pain:
1. Regular Chiropractic Care - This will keep your spine in line which keeps your entire nervous system optimally functioning. Patients have a hard time fathoming the vital importance of this. Without your nervous system working, you're not working. It's that simple. So keeping that in check, keeps everything in check. And more importantly you PREVENT back pain and discomfort from
2. Ease Your Back In & Out Of Workouts - Assuming you are an athlete or fitness buff (which means you are regularly exercising) you must remember to take the time to warm your back up and slowly engage your muscles and organs properly before and after every workout. This is a step that so many people skip and find themselves with a bad back down the road. It doesn't always happen immediately which is why we tend to think we can get away with it. If you're doing 30 minutes of working out, make sure you have at least 3 minutes up front and 3 minutes at the end to ease your back in and out of your workout properly. You'll PREVENT back pain and promote good workout habits!
3. 1-Week Back Focus - Take the next 7 days and focus on your back every single day. How do you sit? (At your desk, while driving, at work, while eating supper, while in the bathroom, while watching television, in bed, etc.) Do you slouch a lot? How about standing? (At the copier, in line at the grocery store, while cooking, while washing up, etc.) Is more of your weight on one side than the other? Does your back hurt after too long? Pay attention to the feeling when you are laying down. (While sleeping, lounging, etc.) Do you feel any pain or discomfort anywhere? Is it more painful sleeping on your side, on your tummy, or on your back? Focus in and let us know what you find. We'll be happy to show you simple techniques that really work!
4. Eat Your Back to Health! - Yes it can be done! A lot of your back pain can be alleviated with a proper diet. So many times the food we eat affect us in ways that we don't realize. When we think of food's negative effect our mind goes to eating rotten food, downing too many sweets, taking in foods we're allergic to, or getting a tummy ache from food that we're not use to. Again, because Dr. Michael's approach is all about "PREVENTION", we want to give the body the best chance to thrive. And it canNOT do that on foods devoid of proper nutrition. A simple way to eat your back to health is to add in nutritious whole foods and cut out the processed, refined, sugary stuff. Engaging a health coach for long term education may be a great way to learn how to do this more effectively.
5. Water Your Back - In Dr. Michael's opinion, water is the best way to get your hydration AND the best way to keep your back healthy and strong. Caffeinated drinks (Especially if you over use them) tend to give your body a "false sense of strength" and can make you push yourself further than you really should. Sugary, processed, or artificially flavored drinks with zero nutritional value do not promote good back health. Water does.